Followers

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Exploring the City, Foz Do Iguacu, Brazil - 21 April 2018


21 April 2018 – I was in no rush to do anything today but knew I had to get out and find some (Money) Brazilian Real and see if I can find the Post Office. This hotel had three elevators. One of the elevators was attached to the outside of the hotel. You had a full view of the city skyline, houses and shops around the hotel. It was nothing new but could take your breath away as you ascended or descended from the top floors. I went downstairs to the lobby to ask the front desk if they had tourist map of the city or downtown area. I also needed to ask for directions to an ATM and the location of the Post Office. They graciously provided all three. I got my walking clothes on, water, shoes on and took off. Before I lost sight of the hotel, I made sure my map and the streets were in agreement. I did not want to get lost. My calf muscles were still sore from the walk I took to the 3 countries corner monument when I was in Argentina. Anyway, a good walk would probably strength them up.

It seemed like I walked about a Mile / 1.6 Kilometers by the time I reached the Post Office corner. I walked the sidewalk back and forth looking for the Post Office before I realized I was standing in front of it. It wasn’t well marked. Then I had to find the door…….what looked like a service door was actually the entrance. I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t get in because I was on time to get in. After standing there looking dumb……I looked at the open hours. Open five separate days M-T-W-T-F and closed on Saturday and Sunday. I checked my watch, shit it was Sunday. So, I’m a dork and everybody who looked at me knew it. Who keeps track of the days? Well, let see if I can find an ATM. I back tracked to the ATM street marked on the map. I found the first ATM and my card wouldn’t work. The second ATM was locked and I couldn’t get in without some type of password. The third one took a little hunting and was in a bank. The bank was not well marked but I found it and was able to get in. It had a bank of 8 ATM’s. I tried my card while holding my breath it would work. It worked and I was able to get enough Brazilian Real to last me a week.

I walked back to the hotel and when I passed a soft ice cream vendor I bought a chocolate and vanilla swirl ice cream cone. I made a mental note not to forget where to find him. I also passed a pizza joint which I may return to at a later date. I’m still on track to get back to the hotel. I took a slightly different route back because my map and streets were agreeing with each other. I also wanted to do some downtown sightseeing. When I get back to the hotel, I need to make arrangements and purchase tickets to tour the Iguacu National Park / Parque Nacional do Iguacu tomorrow. The big attraction is Iguazu Waterfalls / Cataratas del Iguazu. This is a huge tourist attraction and many foreign dignitaries visit it during their stay in Brazil. My calf muscles are still killing me. I’m not walking very fast. Anyway, I’m back at the hotel. I give my motorcycle the 50 cent look over and I see a drip of red oil near the front tire. It looks like one of my front fork seals are leaking. It’s about the size of a pencil eraser. I will have to keep and eye on it. I purchased the tickets to tour the Iguacu National Park / Parque Nacional do Iguacu. I had some problems with language but stumbled through ok. The tour agency made a real big point that I be in the lobby by 8:00 a.m. to be picked up by the shuttle bus and that I needed to get a wrist band. So, tomorrow I must get out of bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment