Followers

Friday, April 24, 2020

It's The People You Meet.. - Colorado to North Platte, Nebraska – 27 June 2018

27 June 2018 – I got up fairly early to get jump on the day. I was removing my cover on my motorcycle cover and the trike rider came out. Probably thought I was going to steal his motorcycle. We talked a little while he was getting his trike prepared to leave. From what I gathered from the conversation he and his wife never really left the state. Both were retired. I went in collect my bags and bungee-corded them onto my motorcycle. I put on my pants and jacket, checked the room and left. It’s time to put some highway behind me.

I got thru Colorado Springs, Colorado quite easily. They I picked up Hwy 24 to Interstate 70 East. I continued down Interstate 70 until I picked up North Hwy 385. That road reminded me of a song sang by Tom Jones in 1967. The Green Green Grass of Home. It was a popular song that would tear up many a soldier during the Vietnam War. You know, it’s kind of like I’m finally getting home. Something that looks familiar. The green green grass of home. I wish I would’ve had my old 1941 Harley-Davidson Knucklehead Chopper rolling down that piece of highway. That would have been the icing on the cake. I took several pictures of it because it’s beautiful rural America.

I continued up the road to Interstate 80. I stopped and ate lunch at the truck stop. I also took a picture of myself in a window. If you look at the motorcycle, you’ll see the right side of the motorcycle is on the left side and visa versa. So to speak, it is the mirror image or opposite hand of the motorcycle. My riding jacket is also a mirror image. Just a funny picture.

I jumped on Interstate 80 and rode east to North Platte, Nebraska. On the Interstate I was passed by a Honda Black Bird. That bike was guaranteed from the factory to go 178.5 mph / 287.3 kmh. I always thought it was guaranteed from the factory to be able to run 200 mph / 322 kph but I guess not. They have always interested me, but not enough to buy one.

I saw a gas station so I decide to fill up to be ready for the next day's ride. When I pulled into the gas station there sat the Honda 1100cc CBR XX Black Bird. So, I talked with the rider for a while. A nice guy. He was from Detroit, Michigan. This Black Bird was his dream motorcycle when he was a young kid. When he found one that had very few miles on it, he bought it and has been riding around the U.S. with it. He’s at a point where he needs to change oil. He has stopped at several motorcycle dealerships and asked if they could change his oil. It’s the same old reply, we won’t be able to get to it for about 3 weeks. It’s true, service is always backed up for 3 weeks during the summer. In three weeks, you could ride around the United States 3 times. We talked about my travels around the world in 2009 and my trip to the tip of South America in 2017. He could hardly believe I did that. So, I gave him both blog cards and told him to read them.
I planned to stop in North Platte, Nebraska so I left the gas station to find a hotel. I ended up in a Motel 6 for two nights. The reception desk was weird. I asked if they had Wi-Fi. No, not unless you pay extra…….God it just went on. I got my key and could access the motel through another door so I didn’t have to walk past the receptionist. I found a restaurant to eat at which was nice. I also found one of those gas marts that sold small containers of ice cream. I bought an apple, banana and ice cream. I ate the ice cream when I got back to the motel. I saved the apple and banana until tomorrow morning. I will be changing my oil in my motorcycle tomorrow morning. I went to bed wondering how that was that going to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment